Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve
others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
- 1 Peter 4:10
Volunteers are the heart of the Spiritual Life Center, serving in a wide variety of roles. From answering calls at the front desk, serving food, providing landscaping and maintenance, and much more, volunteers give with a spirit of stewardship and hospitality that makes retreats and other events here truly special.
The Weekend Resident Volunteer will spend the weekend at the retreat house from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. When not attending to volunteer duties, weekend volunteers may listen to retreat talks, spend time in prayer, and enjoy the silence of the retreat house.
Responsibilities of a weekend resident may include:
• Prepare for Benediction
• Prepare for Mass
• Clean up chapel after event
• Assist speakers with videos, microphones, batteries, lights, sound, action!
• Assist guests to rooms
• Assist guests with any problems in rooms
• Assist with Confessional lines
• Set out meals if there are no cooks on the weekend
• Tend to Directed Retreat Wing kitchen
• Assist in clean up of Dining Room
• Emergency calls
• Assist Staff Hostess if necessary
• Prepare coffee and water when Staff Hostess is absent or unavailable
• Assist Staff Receptionist with filing, copies, guest needs
• Generally be available for Father Ken, Retreat Speaker, Staff Hostess, and guests
If you are interested in becoming one of our Weekend Resident Volunteers, please contact Pam Deitchler at the Spiritual Life Center!
• Wait tables for various groups who have a banquet (serving times vary by group)
• Be present in bookstore, become familiar with inventory, answer guest's questions and process sales.
• Use your artistic talent to further beautify the Center by decorating for various seasons.
Dining Room Host or Hostess
• Help guests to their table, assist in clearing tables, wipe down tables and vacuum carpet after meals
General Center Host or Hostess
• Welcome guests as they arrive (usually Friday nights, but some weekdays)
• Prepare guest rooms (as needed). We often have back-to-back groups and need help in cleaning rooms for the new group.
Landscaping (seasonal and as needed)
• Brush & leaf removal, gardening, maintenance of St. John the Baptist Wilderness area.
• Categorizing and shelving new books, care of existing volumes, and Housekeeping of library room
Maintenance - Building
• Carpentry and painting
• Provide music / cantor for daily Masses, retreats, conference prayer services or liturgy of the hours
• Bulk mailings, data entry, and housekeeping
General front office hospitality and aide
• Answer phones, and greet guests at the front desk
• Help promote the Center within your parish
Become a member of a retreat or ministry team. This position is at the discretion of the Center director to whom you will apply. Ministry teams will assist in retreats for pastoral councils, stewardship committees, mother-daughter, father-son, married couples, and many more; You do not need to be "theologically" trained.
Additional roles include:
• Assist as a "Martha" during private or small group retreats.
• Serve any needs of private or small group retreatants (Designated host / hostess to a group or individual).
• Be a Spiritual Director for the Center. Currently there is a great need for certified Spiritual Directors qualified to lead retreats at the Center.
If you have gifts and talents that are not listed, and would like to share those with the Center, please explain what they are and your availability.
The Spiritual Life Center offers many opportunities for High School students to volunteer and earn service hour credit.
There are many different volunteer opportunities available at the Spiritual Life Center, which include: "Hidden Servants" Prayer Team, Banquet Server, Hospitality, Housekeeping, Landscaping / Gardening, Library Aide, Parish Representative, Sunday Receptionist and Weekend Resident Volunteer.
We also offer service hours opportunities for students at Kapaun and Bishop Carroll.
For more information and full descriptions of volunteer positions, please click the link below.